Tuesday 15 October 2013

Remixes vs. Covers: Original or Karaoke?

Is it possible for covers, remixes etc to be better than the original?

To me, it seems that if some guy on garage band takes a song and adds some beats to it and releases it on YouTube and gets a tonne of hits then why can't I? I have garage band why don't I make a really upbeat and viral remix of Alt-J's Breezeblocks by adding a few more "duh duh duh duh's" and I might actually be the next Flume.
It's interesting to me the insaneness of TV shows like The X Factor and The Voice or whatever singing covers yet they are simply imitating the original. Like, I hear those shows and I think hey that girl has a really good voice but she sounds exactly like the original, this is karaoke I'm out. I just don't understand how a major record company can sign an act based on the amount of times they pleased the Australian public with their skills at imitating an act that already is out there being successful and not on some dumb TV show.
Yet I'm not saying I hate covers. I love them. They are actually so great when they're done right. Here's a list for you to ponder:

1. Get Lucky (Daft Punk) - San Cisco cover
2. Hey Ya (OutKast) - Sarah Blasko cover
3. Trying To Be Cool (Phoenix) - Chainsmokers remix
4. Common People (Pulp) - FIDLAR cover
5. Chelsea Hotel No 2 (Leonard Cohen) - Lana Del Rey
6. You & Me ft. Eliza Doolittle (Disclosure) - Flume Remix
7. Step (Vampire Weekend) - SNDDRG remix
8. Pumped Up Kicks (Foster The People) - Owl Eyes cover
9. Ignition (R Kelly) - Jinja Safari cover
10. Zimbabwe (New Navy) - Flume remix

No comments:

Post a Comment